Saturday, September 12, 2009

Tough Day in NY

September 11 will forever be a difficult day to be a New Yorker.  Eight years ago, I spent the day mostly in tears.  I was scared and horrified, but also touched by the showing of humanity by so many New Yorkers and Americans in general.  I won’t ramble on because I could talk about this day for hours, but just wanted to mention that I’m grateful for people who are so giving of themselves and help others in time of need.  I’m grateful for those who put their lives on the line every day to protect others (especially the NYPD and FDNY).  I’m grateful for troops serving overseas who allow us to live our lives like nothing is wrong in the world hear at home. 

I like to spend time each year in my classroom talking about the day.  Each year the students are further removed from this tragic day.  This year, my students were only 1 year old.  Next year some of them might not have even been born yet.  But, it is part of the fabric of our country, so I feel it is my job to talk to them about that day and how it has impacted our lives today.  Each year, the teachers and students dress in red white and blue on September 11. 

Anyone else do this? 

I’m wondering if it’s a New York thing, or if people all over the country show some patriotism on 9/11.

P1020695

Showing some love for the USA with my Twin Towers pin!

 HEALTHYBreakfast 

P1020693

Green Monster…it’s been waaaaay too long since I’ve had one of these babies.

In the mix:

  • organic baby spinach
  • almond milk
  • frozen banana
  • 1 T almond butter
  • 1 T ground flax
  • 1 T Amazing Meal

Lunch/Snacks

 P1020691 Leftovers from last night’s dinner…angel hair primavera.  It’s my favorite restaurant dish in the world.  It’s in a creamy garlic sauce which is to die for.  I also had an apple with lunch.  Snack was a mini CLIF bar and the grapes were munched throughout the morning.

Here’s a close-up of my favorite dinner:

P1020692  

Dinner

was a good ole slice of pizza. 

Breakfast (Sat.)

P1020698

Pumpkin oats!  So good!

In the mix:

  • 1/2 cup of oats
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1/2 cup of almond milk
  • cinnamon
  • 1 spoonful pumpkin butter
  • 3/4 mashed banana

Topped with plain Chobani and Nature’s Path pumpkin flax granola.  Heaven-ly with the yogurt on top. 

FIT

Friday morning’s 2 miles went off without a hitch.  It was raining, so I did it on the treadmill with a 1.0 incline.

Distance:  2.01 miles
Time:  17:32
Avg. Pace:  8:41/mile
Max HR:  183 bpm
Avg. HR:  171 bpm
Calories:  176 (25% fat)

FUN

Today (Saturday) is our Block Party.  I’m not sure if this is a regional thing or what, but basically, you block off the street for the day, bring your backyard into the street and party the day away.  It’s kind of gloomy out, but no rain.  So I think we’re going to go for it!  I have a lot of preparation to do.  I’ll be back tomorrow with lots of pics!  It’s a good thing today is a rest day from my training program because I’ll be a busy little bee!  Time to get moving!

SIG2

0 comments: